Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Growing Brussel Sprouts


I have had a love/hate relationship with my growing of brussel sprouts.  This is my first time growing brussel sprouts.  I don't know optimal time for growing brussel sprouts.   I planted Botanical Interests Long Island Improved Brussel Sprouts back in September.  I didn't think they sprouted so I ended up buying transplants in October.  I now have 9 plants, 6 transplants, 3 direct seeded.  I'm sure I seeded more than 3 but that's what happened. 
Now knowing how long this growing season is, I realize I should have planted seeds in June or July in order to get a nice winter crop, which will be my room for improvement. 

A few stalks are nice and chubby and stumpy.  Some are long and lanky.  One fell over and is growing in an S shape.  All I know is, I've been waiting to eat brussel sprouts and I don't have enough even for a side dish.   None of my sprouts are compact.  Half of them are open and look like matured cabbage.  Probably too warm for them.  We did have a few 90 degree days this week.  

Sigh... I think I have to do more research.  

No comments:

Post a Comment