Friday, March 28, 2014

Flammenkuchen / Tarte Flambee

I was watching tv 2 weeks ago and tarte flambee was on the cooking show.  I first had this is Switzerland, then in France.  My seestah lives in Switzerland on the border of France and Germany.  Tarte flambee as the French call it is also called flammenkuchen (flah-men-kukken or so i think) in german.  Its from the Alsace region of France which used to be Germany.  This region is also known for sauerkraut.  
Anyways,  I decided to do my research and planned to try my hand at flammenkuchen. My seestah lives in german speaking Switzerland so it will be called flammenkuchen, the way it was introduced to me as.   Its basically a super thin flatbread or pizza with creme fraiche and cheese as the sauce. The sweetness of the creme fraiche is what makes this dish special.  I made mine simple just the way I had it in Europe, with my faux lardons (bacon) and caramelized onions, but I dont like my onions to caramelized so they were cooked down for 25 minutes. 
The dough took an hour to rise..  and what I didn't plan on was to take me 45 minutes to roll out the dough to super duper thin.  By then, I was hungry and cranky.   I get home at 630pm didn't eat dinner for over 2 hours! While this isn't a weeknight meal if you make the dough from scratch, its definitely worth the time and effort.  As you can see, my chives were cut like a crazy person to sprinkle on my finished product cuz I was sooo hungry!
All in all, it reminded me of my trips to Europe and my seestah and it was soooo good! I can't wait to make my next flammenkuchen!


Note to self: work on dough rolling skills, I suck

No comments:

Post a Comment