Saturday, March 29, 2014

Save the Bees

Who doesn't love honey? Or flowers?

There was 20 something bees in my garden working away at my raspberry, ollalieberry, and boysenberry blossoms today.  They were buzzing and I tried to snap a picture but I was scared to get too close. Total chicken I know, but hey, I'm a city kid and I've never really been on a farm unless you count a you pick with just cherries or peaches when I was young.  Tomorrow, I will bring my dslr and zoom lens so I can take a picture with safe distance



According to Botanical Interests Save the Bees packet, there are over 4000 species of bees that live in the United States.  We all know the bee population has declined but they are so important for farmers and gardeners.  They pollinate our flowers so we have yummy fruits and veggies to eat.  I used to be against growing flowers, I just think they are a waste of space... But if they can make my garden more abundant and I can get some cut flowers for the house while I'm at it, it's a win win.



I decided to use a small section, about 12 square feet devoted to Botanical Interests Save the Bees mix.  It contains a variety of seeds and the packet picture looks gorgeous.  Oh how I love the artwork on Botanical Interests packs.  Included in this mix are herbs and flowers that are supposed to attract bees.  The herb part is great since I can technically use them if I need them.  My herbs are actually grown in containers at my apartment in the common areas for easy access when I need them.

Now we sit and wait... This is the first time I am growing flowers...

No comments:

Post a Comment