Friday, March 28, 2014

Okee dokee artichokeey

I absolutely love artichokes.   I tried to grow them several times... 4 unsuccessful attempts.  One I had a vermin mishap.. think it was a gopher, the rest may have been my lack of gardening skills.   Maybe too much water, not enough sunlight as my community garden plot is half shaded... boo!  I have a border plot which is next to a tall fence with a humongous shrub and a tree that shades a good 300 square feet after 12-1pm.  I guess it can be a good thing in warm summer... but still, I can only utilize the east half of my plot for tomatoes, melons, corn, and things of the like.  This year I didnt plan properly and put two artichokes in where I had room at the time..  didn't think about how large it would get and now I took up prime sun real estate with this artichoke plant.  The other plant perished cuz it was placed in the shade I think.  But I do have some pretty spectacular artichokes growing.  The plant that survived is an italian heirloom called violetta artichoke.   The meatiest artichoke I ever tasted... the leaves are 60% full of meat rather than a green globe where u end up with barely any meat on the leaves... is it called artichoke meat? The choke of the violettas are larger and sweeter than a green globe as well.  Though not as sweet as an imperial star in my opinion, these violettas bring on some great eating. And so I shall end with... SUCCESS... finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment