Sunday, March 30, 2014

Trellis building

I built a trellis for my berry vines and it was the first thing I ever built.  I went to home depot and since then i have the do it yourself bug.  

Don't make fun, its my first handy work. The berry trellis was built to mimic the trellises used for grape vines.  Its a bit rough, but since then my berries seem to enjoy it and now its an abundance of green and flowers.  Funny how things take off with something so simple. 

I decided I can build anything so I built a cucumber/pea trellis.  I used a few what Home Depot calls hobby boards which are precut pieces of wood 1/2 inch thick, wood screws, jute twine, and a bracket that they use for kitchen cabinet attachment and built a simple cucumber and pea trellis.  For now, it will house cucumbers but later on this year it will be used to hold up my peas.

After putting it into the ground, I am a bit unsure if these thin pieces of wood will hold up the weight once my cucumbers start going,it creaks... so I may buy some square dowels to attach to the legs for reinforcement. Hopefully it will hold until I get around to it, of course when I do get around to it, I will probably be reactive rather than proactive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment